Sunday, July 6, 2008

Waterboarding as a weekend activity.

Christopher Hitchens in this article from Vanity Fair:
As a boy reading the climactic torture scene of 1984, where what is in Room 101 is the worst thing in the world, I realize that somewhere in my version of that hideous chamber comes the moment when the wave washes over me. Not that that makes me special: I don’t know anyone who likes the idea of drowning. As mammals we may have originated in the ocean, but water has many ways of reminding us that when we are in it we are out of our element. In brief, when it comes to breathing, give me good old air every time.
Every one of you needs to stop what you're doing right now and watch the video of Hitchens getting waterboarded. It's what our government claims isn't torture, and it's what makes me respect guys like McCain for denouncing it (though he's backed off that quite a bit lately).

Of all the things I hate about the current administration, this is number one. Period. Anytime scenes from 1984 become reality are scary times, indeed.

Notice how quickly Hitchens gives up, and you can imagine what the full 15 minutes would've been like.

Here's hoping we can knock this bullshit off, whoever takes over next January, and get our fucking head on straight.

No comments: