Sunday, November 13, 2005

The world start shakin' me down (Collective Soul live)

Yeah, they were pretty cool.

Went to Mt. Clemens and the Emerald Theater to see Collective Soul last night.

I've been wanting to see CS for years now. I had a chance the summer of '01, with Driver and Neff, but I think I was having girlfriend issues. I missed my chance either way.

Then, with their new album Youth, I saw they were going on tour. But the closest venues were in Toronto and Chicago.

So finally, via my handy weekly e-mail from Ticketmaster, I saw they were coming somewhere closer. Thank goodness.

Ed Roland and the gang put on a great show - I heard everything I wanted to hear, including an extended, "everyone sing!" version of "Better Now," the best song on the new album, I think.

The new album is a bit glossy, much like Blender before it. But CS seems to have found a formula - great sing-along rock/pop tunes - and it has seemed to work. Everyone knows a Collective Soul song, whether they realize it or not.

Collective Soul is a fun band - both to listen to and to watch. I'm glad I finally got a chance to do the latter.

No comments: